When I write, sometimes I like to listen to Gregorian chants, I love the way Latin songs are sang, so slow, so soft, so heartfelt. I'm a huge sucker for Schubert's Ave Maria! Its so bad, sometimes when I hear it, I do the sign of the cross, and walk really solemnly. Ave Maria feels me with solemnity. I'm a believer of finding God in little things, you know in the way you walk, while eating, in giving to those in need, in bringing joy and laughter that sort of thing.
As a child, I used to love going to the dominican church with my mum in Ibadan, I like the way the church was built, the audience sits in a large circle and the altar is in the middle. I really liked it because of the Dominican fathers there, I loved seeing them because one time while we were in cathechism class, I caught a glimpse of them in a straight line, you know their brown overalls, rosaries hanging at the waist, roman sandals at their feet, humming along as they said the rosary. That for me is ultimate spirituality, being one with the creator through song while praising the vessel of the son of God!

Why am I going on and on about Gregorian Chants and Latin songs? I've just heard the most fabulous AVE MARIA! I don't know how to describe it, when Pavarotti sings it, watch him closely, you can almost see tears forming in his eyes, I once heard a recording by the St Micheal's Choir School, the little lead boy that sang the first part, brought me to my knees, you know you're walking down and suddenly the song on your MP3 Player changes to a soft young lad singing

Ave Maria Gratia plena
Maria Gratia plena
Maria Gratia plena
Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum

You have to stop and acknowledge the beauty of the voice, praise the composer for the tune, and glorify God for keeping you alive to experience the joy of a young man singing an "older" song and doing it with so much life..........

Anyways, I thought I'd heard the best Ave Maria till my Gregorians did their own o.....I was literarily on my knees, doing the sign of the cross, and people although no one can say they saw it, tears were rolling down my cheeks. The Gregorians KILLED THE SONG, BROUGHT IT BACK TO LIFE AND PLACED IT IN THE HIGHER REACHES OF HUMANITY WHERE IT CAN NEVER BE CONTAMINATED....EVER AGAIN


Ave Maria - composed by Franz Schubert


Ave Maria
Gratia plena
Maria Gratia plena
Maria Gratia plena
Ave, ave dominus
Dominus tecum

Benedicta tu in mulieribus
Et benedictus
Et benedictus fructus ventris
Ventris tui Jesus
Ave Maria
Ave Maria Mater dei
Ora pro nobis pecatoribus
Ora, ora pro nobis
Ora ora pro nobis pecatoribus
Nunc et in hora mortis
In hora mortis, mortis nostrae
In hora mortis nostrae
Ave Maria!

1 comment:

Naijadude said...

LOl..Can I sing Ave Maria with you? I think I remember the song while growing up......

Whats up for Xmas now?